Succulent Films was originally formed in 2004 over a kitchen table in Somerset, as an outlet for David Buchanan and Rob Handy to make The Last Babacus – a feature-length movie musical with a total budget of £2500.
To this day, David continues to make films under the Succulent banner, while Rob has embarked on a fascinating long-term project, living off-grid and recording his life as Rob’s Discovery.
Since 2004, the films have become more polished and the budgets have grown, but the same spirit remains. Succulent Films are rooted in the ordinary, the everyday… while always reaching for the extraordinary, the magical, the unusual. Succulent Films are always ambitious, and always fun.
- Winner, 2019 One Stop Films 16mm Prize
- Best British Short Film, 2017 No Entitlement Film Festival
- Best Short Film Nominee, 2017 High Peak Independent Film Festival
- Judges’ 6 Finalist, 2016 Exit 6 Festival
- Official Selection, 2016 Offline Festival
- Official Selection, Sci-Fi London 2012
- Best Music Video, 2011 London Independent Film Festival
- Audience Choice Award, 2008 Bristol Filmmakers Festival
Projects currently in development:
- Nosterity – a time-travel comedy that explores the power of nostalgia
- Christmas Number One – a pop musical about a troubled singer
- Anna – an eerie romance based on the short story by Margaret Irish
- The Last Battle – a sitcom about two wizards living in present-day Somerset